Well, before you consider that option, why not try some more natural methods?
Tea Tree Oil
The healing and disinfecting properties of tea tree oil have been known and used by the indigenous people of North-Eastern New South Wales for thousands of years. Tea tree oil is anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial. This makes it a great home remedy for treating infections and acne (I know in my experience it has worked more quickly and better than antibiotics when put on the skin) and is also very inexpensive! A must-have in your bathroom cupboard.
Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil
1. For applying directly on the skin.
2. As a household cleaner and disinfectant.
3. As a mouth wash.+
4. For your hair.
How to use tea tree oil for the skin
To use tea tree oil for the skin, you may do one of the following (as suggestions);
1) Dilute the tea tree oil with jojoba, almond, or olive oil by a 50:50 ratio. Then apply on skin where desired (avoid sensitive areas like the eyes)
2) Take a Q-tip and apply full strength tea tree oil only on problem areas like pimples.
How to use tea tree oil as a household cleaner
Take a spritzer bottle and dilute tea tree oil in water in a 1:50 ratio (1 mL tea tree oil for every 50mL of water). Spray this solution as an all natural disinfectant!
How to use tea tree oil as a mouthwash
Take one cup of water and mix it with 5 drops of tea tree oil. You may add in 5 drops of peppermint oil as well if you wish. This kills the bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath! Be careful not to swallow any!
How to use tea tree oil for your hair
To use tea tree oil for your hair, you can mix it with your daily shampoo or rub tea tree oil mixed with jojoba or almond oil in a 50:50 ratio onto your scalp. Tea tree oil helps prevent hair loss, brings circulation to the scalp to stimulate hair growth, and leaves your hair moisturized and shiny.
- Tea tree oil should by NO means be ingested because it is toxic.
- It may cause slight skin irritation and redness when you put it on full strength. But that fades away in no more than an hour (15 min in my experience).