BorageA beautiful flowering plant that grows in the Mediterranean, Borage is one of the unknown miracle herbs that are widely available for growth in North America. This herb contains a wide range of benefits in such small amounts, and is such an easy plant to grow and maintain, it is remarkable why it is not used more extravagantly.
5 Benefits of Borage;
1) Contains essential fatty acid gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) - What this fatty acid can do to contribute to your overall health is maintain healthy and beautiful skin, restore joint health, and even raise your immunity.
2) Have very high levels of Vitamin A and C - Vitamin A in itself has numerous benefits for your health, and is thought to be one of the main vitamins to maintain healthy and beautiful skin. This will protect against aging of the skin and give you a healthy glow. Vitamin C is shown to contribute to the wellness of your skin and immunity as well.
3) Contains minerals like iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, and magnesium- These minerals contribute to your overall health. For example, Potassium helps control heart rate and blood pressure (also alleviates cramps), Iron is important for cellular metabolism and is a main component for hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in the blood.
4) Anti-inflammatory - This property of Borage is most commonly used in its oil form. It may be used to treat acne and studies have shown that it has a good possibility of treating arthritis.
5) Has sedative effects - This can be used to sooth nervous conditions and is known to ease depression and mood swings.
FACT* The Borage flower is one of the only naturally blue edible plants in the world. It has a sweet taste and can be used as a sweetener and decoration for tea or on top of pastries.
Borage also comes in the form of an oil, which is one of the "must haves" for natural youth and beauty maintenance. Although it is a bit pricey, it is well worth the cost and can last you a couple months, even if used on a daily basis. That really beats having to buy expensive moisturizers that last a couple weeks to a month, which may have little to no impact when comparing to the benefits of Borage oil.
I've personally tried to grow this plant from seed and it has worked like a charm. As long as you provide them with some light and water a little bit daily, they grow with little assistance and maintain strong seedlings.